These achievements have come from a two year journey of learning, through a dynamic and innovative Integrated Curriculum which embraces contextualised learning experiences, while promoting inquiry and student engagement, a unique Waikino School Curriculum which is founded on it's unique school community Vision, supported by our student led Values and driven by the NZ Curriculum and our Enviro-School Guiding principles of High Expectations- for Academic success and personal well being (Hauora), inclusiveness, community engagement, coherence and future focus: through the Kaupapa of Enviro-Schools "Sustainability, Empowered students, Learning for sustainability, Maori perspectives, and Respect for Cultural Diversity."
As such we can celebrate at the end of 2015:
- The release of our school album, "The Last Song of the Kokako" on iTunes and Amplifier.
- Increased recognition in local Media of our unique learning programmes, community engagement and success
- A 12 page feature article with the Ministry of Education Bulletin on Inspiring Schools
- A 2 page article and cover feature in the Education Gazette: Tukutuku Korero Magazine on Culture, Community engagement and Student Voice
- Our Green Gold Enviro-School Award
- Our Academic success: Our National Standards achievement data-Reading 93% at or above the National Standards, Writing 96% at or above the National Standards, and 89% at or above the National Standards in Math.
I would like to acknowledge and thank also, our Board of Trustees, our hard-working, passionate and caring staff, our connected and warm community, and our empowered tamariki for making the school what it is, a fantastic place to learn and grow.
Enjoy the photo memories below from our moving celebration of our children's achievements and the beautiful farewell that was given to our Year 6's at the Waikino School Prize Giving in Te Kauri.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Keep safe and enjoy the summer break.